Friday, June 14, 2013

"The Highly Sensitive Person's Workbook"

I saw a psychologist a few days ago and he feels that I do not need my medications any more. I have been on Cymbalta for almost 2 years. At the time I started it, I was in a lot of pain, both physically and mentally. I was anxious every day and it was getting worse. But even though my emotions were up and down, it was not depression that had me, but the events that were in my life.

I thought I had suffered depression off and on my whole life, but what I had read about it I knew it was not quite right. When evens in my life caused my emotions to be upset I would see a doctor. Most cases I was labeled depressed and once as Bi-polar. I am not saying I was not depressed for a time, but my emotions were not an illness. I am psychologically fine. This was an eye opener for me. I am fine. I am not sick. This makes me happy.

This also gives me the challenge of fighting for me. I am not crazy, a cry baby or an emotional basket case. I am an Highly Sensitive Person and I have rights. I have lost jobs because I am too emotional, not happy enough. The medication I am on does not work for me because meds for depression or anxiety are to balance the chemicals in your brain. I am chemically balanced.

As an HSP, it is the emotions we feel, it is the events that happen, it is the overwhelming sensories that I receive and the different way I process information around me that has me emotional. Now that I know this I have been working at adjusting my life to decrease the chances of becoming overwhelmed.

I am using "The Highly Sensitive Person's Workbook" by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D. I have been working with the book for about a month now but I feel that I should go through it again for now I know that I do not have depression on top of the HS. I am working with other books that I listed yesterday and want to share my thoughts and my lessons as I go through them.

I am aware not many people will be reading this. It really more like a journal so I might write stuff that some people might not like, but I will not be using real names. I will apologize now, but what I write is part of the healing and I have to heal.



No comments:

Post a Comment